A man from Florida never thought that he would wake up to his house filled with smoke and find out that fire had sparked from his own MacBook Pro.
Steve Gagne recently shared his shocking experience in a Facebook post about his MacBook Pro which caught fire and almost burned his house down.
“The sound of it was what first threw me for a loop; but then the smell of a strong chemical/burning smell is what got me,” Gagne wrote in his post.
He later found out that his MacBook Pro which was sitting on a coffee table was on fire.
So, in light of the @apple announcement today that they are recalling 15” MacBook Pros from 2015-2017, I want to tell my…
Luckily, as the fire was small and there was not any papers or notebooks lying nearby the laptop, Gagne managed to put out the fire by himself.
“Thankfully, I uncharacteristically left it on my coffee table, and I really believe that this prevented my house from burning down,” Gagne added.
Nevertheless, the incident baffled him as to why the fire started from his laptop when it was not in use and unplugged from the power source.
Gagne also wrote that the MacBook Pro was in fact on a Sleep Mode.
It was not until Apple recently issued a recall for their 15-inch MacBook Pro for the Battery Recall Programme as there was an issue with the batteries.
According to Apple, the batteries from the older models of the 15-inch MacBook Pro were susceptible to overheat which would lead to a fire safety hazard.
The MacBook Pro units which are affected are the ones sold in between September 2015 and February 2017. The eligibility of the products can be checked through the serial number of Mac.
In light of the incident, Gagne warned those who also have a 15-inch MacBook Pro bought between the period mentioned to check if they are eligible for the battery replacement.
So, if you have a 15-inch MacBook Pro from 2015 to 2017, it may be best for you to check on Apple website and see if you can replace your battery as soon as possible. You can also check here.