It is never too early to learn first aid procedure. Thanks to the lifesaving lesson she took a day before, a third grader managed to save her best friend from choking.
Shailyn Ryan just learned how to do the Heimlich maneuver a day before but she never thought that she would need to use the newly acquired skill so quickly.
Shailyn was having lunch with her best friend Keira Silvia when she suddenly choked on her lunch.
The girls were at Marguerite Peaslee Elementary School in Northboro, Massachusetts, when suddenly Keira’s face turned red.
“My face turned red and I stood up and I started trying to swallow it, and then I couldn’t,” said Keira to CBS Boston.
“It was probably one of the scariest feelings I’ve ever got,” Keira continued.
Thanks to the previous lifesaving lesson she learned, Shailyn immediately knew that Keira was choking on her hot dog.
The girl then started to give Keira the Heimlich maneuver.
“It pretty much looked like she was choking so I turned around her back and gave her the Heimlich,” said Shailyn.
“I put my hand in a fist and then my other hand over it, and then I squeezed on her belly so she would cough up the hot dog,” she added.
Keira’s parents were thankful for Shailyn’s quick action to save their daughter’s life. “I am so thankful there are no words,” Noel Silvia, Keira’s mother said.
Shailyn learned the Heimlich maneuver skill at the Northboro Recreation Center where she took part in a program called Home Alone Safety.
“Shailyn took the Home Alone program which is run through UMass Memorial and it’s the smart kids 101 program, and she took it on Tuesday, April 30 and then she saved another child’s life on Wednesday, May 1,” Allison Lane from the Northboro rec center said.
Following the incident, both families have an important message for everyone.
“It’s really important to know that kids are capable of a lot more than we give them credit for,” said Keira’s mother.
Apparently, the girls will also have an incredible story to tell for life!
“The best friend that I can actually trust, I know that now I have somebody I can trust if I’m choking on a hot dog,” Keira said.