14-year-old electrocuted in her sleep and her mother found a broken phone charger cable on her bed

0
2313

We can all agree that smartphones have become part and parcel of our daily lives. We keep it next to us on our beds as it is the last thing we see before we sleep and the first thing we pick up when we wake up in the morning.

Here is a true story of a young girl who did just that.

A mother walked into her 14-year-old daughter, Le Thi Xoan’s room to wake her up in the morning. She called her multiple times but she did not respond. In a state of panic, her parents then immediately drove their unconscious daughter to the hospital. When she finally arrived at the emergency unit the doctors said it was too late.

The mother was in a state of numbness and disbelief because her daughter was absolutely fine the night before. The doctor said that her daughter was electrocuted.

She was puzzled as to how her daughter had been electrocuted when nothing looked out of the ordinary in her room this morning. She then got back to her home and went straight into her daughter’s room. She found Xoan’s smartphone charger cable was on her bed. Although it was plugged into her phone, it was not charging. The part of the cable near the smartphone was burnt.

According to Xoan’s parents, it was not unusual for their children to charge their phones while they sleep.

Hanoi police also confirmed they found the burnt cable on her bed, with a tear in the rubber casing exposing live wires. Tape was also found wrapped around the damaged portion of the cable.  Preliminary police investigation showed that Xoan was believed to have plugged in her iPhone 6 to charge and lay on her bed beside it, a practice she did regularly according to her parents.

Heartbreaking: Xoan’s classmates and friends attend the memorial

For illustration purpose only

It was speculated that there was a problem with the worn-out charging cable and that had caused a leakage in excess current during her sleep

The dangers of overcharging your smartphone with broken cable is a real threat to an individual’s safety. It is better to be safe than sorry therefore stop keeping your phones nearby when you charge them.

Please always check the condition of your phone charging cables and be sure to buy original parts from the manufacturers.

It’s better to be safe than sorry. Please share this article with your friends and families to warn them against the danger of overcharging your smartphone with broken cable.

Other news sources:

Dailymail

AOL.com 

Independent

Straits Times Singapore

The Star

Metro UK

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here